These bliss balls make a great substitute for chocolate and other processed treats when you’re having a sugar craving. Not only are they rich in flavour, but because they contain raw cacao they carry essential minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc and iron. They are also high in protein and fibre, making for a healthier mid-afternoon pick-me-up than chocolate.
Perhaps best of all, they are very easy to make with very little preparation time. Once you’ve soaked the dates they’ll take about ten minutes to mix into balls and about another twenty to harden in the fridge.
It’s important to keep in mind that they are still quite high in calories (around 100 calories per ball) so try to limit yourself to one or two at a time.
20 pitted medjool dates
1 tbsp white chia seeds
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup of desiccated coconut for mixing, 1/4 cup for coating
1 cup of almond meal
1/2 cup of cacao
- Soften the dates by placing in a bowl and covering with water. Leave to soak for one hour.
- Drain the dates. Combine with all remaining ingredients in a food processor. Blend well.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, roll the mixture into balls, making sure to pack the balls tightly.
- Spread out the remaining 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut onto some foil, coat the balls evenly.
- Refrigerate the balls for at least 20 minutes or until hardened.
Makes around 14 balls.